Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mini Abum for SNS crop...

It is finally here! This weekend is the CyberCrop at SNS!!!!! I am hosting some challenges, classes, and tutorials. Go check it out here.

One of my class is making a mini album from recycled plastic. The instructions are on a post at the crop, but they are in a word document. I wanted to post them here for people who don't have MS Word. So here they are!

Even though we recycle a lot at our home, I still feel like we generate so much trash!!! I wish we could find more ways to reuse the stuff we have. That is where my inspiration for this tutorial came from!
I was looking at our huge pile of recyclables, and I had just been visiting a few scrapbooking sites about acrylic albums. When I saw all the clear plastic that was “untouched” on this lettuce container, I knew I had to make something out of it! (Notice the pizza box, too! I want to use that for something eventually!)



I first washed the container, and took off the sticker with some UnDu. I measured the height and length of the container, and looked at where the curves were to see if I could get some pretty flat pieces. The container was about 5 inches high, but only a little over 4 of the inches were flat. The length was about 9 inches, so I decided to make some 4x4 pages.



(Don’t you love my circa 1984 My Little Pony ruler????)

I began by cutting all the sides and the bottoms from each other with scissors.


I then took each piece and using a ruler, a cutting mat, and an exacto knife, I cut out 4 x 4 squares. CAUTION: My knife slipped very easily on the surface of the plastic. You might want to try and score it with the knife, then cut with scissors.





When I was done, I had TEN 4 x 4 pages from this one container.

I stamped on the pages with stazon, used my crop-a-dile to punch a hole in the corner for a metal ring. Then found some photos and 2 sided paper to use for my mini album.

And here are some pages from the completed album! I have a RAK for someone who completes this album! Post your link here, and i will do a drawing from all the entries!






3 comments:

Colleen said...

Great idea and it turned out great.

peata said...

thats awesome.

making mini albums
mini album blog

~Telah said...

This is an awesome idea for a mini album! Yours looks great!